Search for resources by:
||Definitions of materials
||Definitions of levels
Please note: Due to project funding termination in summer 2014, this database is no longer actively being maintained. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the listings.
Unit 7: Family celebrations
Day Five: Planning a class birthday party
- Students will be able to relate how their family celebrates birthdays.
- Students will create an invitation for a birthday party for a member of their immediate family.
- Students will re-enact a "class" birthday celebration.
Setting the Stage (5 minutes)
Teacher tells students what they will be doing today (see objectives above). Teacher encourages students to ask for clarification or questions related to the projects for today.
Independent Practice (50 minutes)
Students have written, as homework the night before, a short description of how their family celebrates birthdays.
In a Circle-Within-A Circle format, students read and discuss their family birthday celebration traditions. Teacher monitors by videotaping or by filling in the formal evaluation rubric form .
Teacher and students plan a birthday celebration for all the students who have a birthday during the month in which they do this unit of study. Teacher and students brainstorm who will head a group in charge of:
- Games and prizes
- Little gifts
Student leaders choose their "committee" and the student groups plan for their particular portion of the birthday party.
Teacher and students brainstorm and create a "class" birthday invitation. Selected artistic students duplicate the invitation.
Teacher and students brainstorm and create a list of whom they will invite to the party:
- Principal of school
- Other teachers
Teacher and students distribute copies of the invitation to chosen guests.
« Previous lesson
Next lesson »
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
- You may use and modify the material for any non-commercial purpose.
- You must credit the UCLA Language Materials Project as the source.
- If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under a license identical to this one.